Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First entry

Welcome, this will hopefully be my first entry of many. My name is Chris. I'm a full time student studying Biology at Cal State San Bernardino as well as veterinary technician at Loma Linda Animal Hospital. Planning to go to Veterinary school next year. I have many hobbies, the largest one being algae production.

Of course there are many different uses for algae: fish food, nutritional supplement, bio-diesel; just to name a few. I however found algae production so interesting for a different reason, carbon sequestration. This basically means taking the carbon out of the CO2 molecule and returning the O2 back into the atmosphere therefore locking up the carbon for use later. It would then need to be removed from the supply chain so it does not react with O2 turning back into CO2. This could be accomplished by pumping the algae back underground into the oil fields or refining the oil from algae into different plastics and other raw materials for use in other industries that would not be combusting the material.

I hope to use this blog as a medium to display my data gathered as well as experiences in the hobby of algae production to give others inspiration to do some good of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment